Chatopus is a Jabber/XMPP client for instant messaging (IM) on the Palm OS platform. The client adds feature-rich instant messaging and presence functionality to Palm OS devices, enabling Palm users to instantly communicate to other wireless and wired users.
Chatopus allows users to communicate with Jabber, XMPP or Google Talk contacts. It also supports the gateway/transport aspects of Jabber, allowing users to establish links to other instant messaging solutions including MSN Messenger, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, Facebook Chat, GaduGadu, QQ, Sametime and others.
Chatopus can also be used to receive real-time news via RSS feeds. For details, please check out our article, Using Jabber to Receive Real-time News.
- Basic Chat
- Message history, exportable to Memopad
- Offline message reading
- Interoperability with MSN, Yahoo!, AIM, ICQ, Facebook Chat, GaduGadu, QQ and Sametime
- Support Google Talk service and Gizmo Project
- Multiple accounts of the same type. (see article)
- Bots support (see article)
- SMS transport support (see article)
- Twitter support (see article)
- Runs in background in Palm OS
- Audible, vibration and visual alerts with Palm OS 5 enhanced audio1
- Customizable sound effects (get sounds)
- Multiple profiles
- Group support
- Option to show online users only
- Color and hi-resolution support (including QVGA resolutions)
- Portrait and landscape mode support
- Virtual Graffiti / Dynamic Input Area support
- Single-handed operation with 5-way navigation support2 and Sony Clie's jog dial support
- Unicode support
- Power savings with auto screen-off and LED Blinking3
- Different font sizes
- Palm OS Global Find support (New) (see article)
- Look up a user's information with photos (see screenshot)
- Full presence subscription management
- Speak instant messages (text-to-speech support)
- SSL support4
- Over-the-air Jabber account creation
- Over-the-air gateway or transport (e.g. AIM, ICQ, MSN or Yahoo) registration
- Multiple access methods, including Bluetooth, 802.11b, IR, GSM dial-up, high-speed GPRS, PalmModem...etc
- Palm OS 4.0 or higher, Palm OS 5 compatible
- Jabber account5
- Device with network connection
- Tungsten T3 users need Palm DIA Compatibility PRCs installed for extended screen support (newer Palm devices do NOT require this library).
- Some older Sony handhelds (specifically the NR, NX, NZ, and TG series) require a third-party software, Modern-Clie-Audio, to use the Chatopus Sound Effects.
- 5-way navigation is supported on Palm Tungsten T/T2/T3/T5/TX, Zire models, Treo 600/650/680/700p/755p and Group Sense PDA.
- Auto screen-off and LED blinking are supported on Palm's Tungsten models, Zire models and LifeDrive models. Auto screen-off is supported on Palm's Treo 600/650/680/700p/755p.
- SSL support is available if the device has the Palm OS SSL library. When SSL is enabled, background mode is not supported
- Users can register a jabber account on many public Jabber servers for free. They could also setup their own Jabber Servers using either an open-source or commercial Jabber server.